Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Natural versus Relaxed

I really do not understand all of the back and forth regarding whether people want to wear their hair natural or chemically treated.  I will have to admit first that I am a bit biased now that I have been completely natural for three years now.  I would honestly prefer to see more and more ladies embracing their natural texture while forsaking relaxers.  In my opinion, it is a much healthier option and can have serious benefits to one's well being.  It is not very difficult to maintain natural hair once you get the hang of it.  It can actually turn into something fun. 

Many women have not even seen their natural texture since their tween years and before.  I personally started getting my hair relaxed at about 8 or 9.  My mother took care of my hair for a while and during this time it continued to thrive.  Sadly, once I started doing my own hair at around age 11, my hair started to fall out.  I was teased and called bald headed relentlessly.  It was really tough because my hair was long in the crown area, but completely broken off in the back and on the sides.  I distinctly remember there was a yellow school bus full of older girls from another school that would make it a point to make fun of us and yell "BALD HEAD!!!!" at me and my older cousin.  It hurt like crazy.  I wasn't exactly sure who I upset with.  Was I mad at my mother for deciding to stop doing my hair and not really showing me how to properly care for my hair?  Was I angry with her for not telling me that hair needed moisture and not just grease to be healthy?  Was I upset because I was not warned that wearing tight ponytails every day would lead to hair loss?  Was I mad at myself for being lazy and not trying new styles?  Was I mad at their girls for being mean and teasing us?  I suppose I was angry at all parties involved.  I decided to get the dreaded Jheri Curl in order to quell the name calling.  My hair looked better but I did have to get a significant amount cut because it was so damaged. 

I kept the curl for years and then my mother decided to transition me back to regular relaxers.  So...wait for it...she put the relaxer right on top of the hair that was already treated with the curl chemicals.  Inevitably, my hair fell out again but even worse this time.  All off my hair broke off in 8th grade.  I had a little bit left on the top and a few patches in the back.  This was right around the time that I was visiting high schools.  This was terribly embarrassing.  I wore my skull cap the whole time because I was too ashamed to show my patches during the high school tour.  The vice principal and counselor looked at me strangely for not wanting to remove my hat but there was no way that I was taking it off.

My hair fell out several times after that incident because the chemicals were just not the way to go for me.  I finally got a good hold on my relaxed hair and it began to grow longer.  However, it would only grow to about arm pit length and then it would get dry, turn a weird shade of reddish brown and then began to break off at the ends.  Returning back to natural was definitely a sound decision for me considering my poor history with chemical straighteners.  I must emphasize that this was the best decision for me.  I have no place in stating what is best for anyone else.  If a person does not want to take the time to learn how manage their natural texture, that is their business.  If they have time constraints in their life that prohibit them from spending time pampering their hair, a relaxer may be a solid choice for them.  I refuse to knock their choice.  It is their hair and they can do whatever they want to do with it.  I must say that it was a struggle to learn that water was actually your friend and not the enemy.  No longer do I have to cover up my hair or do a Usain Bolt sprint to get out of the rain.  Now precipitation is considered free moisture.  I can say that with a smile now. 

I no longer how to deal with chemical scalp burns or hair breakage beyond my control.  My hair is actually longer than it has ever been at this moment and is getting longer.  Using natural hair lingo, creamy crack is whack.  I am so done and I have absolutely no intention of returning.  Even with the constant influence from certain people in my life..."Oh, your hair looked so much better when it was straight," I will not falter.  Yes, my hair is nappy.  But it is long, healthy and all mine.

Thank you natural hair movement!

No comments:

Post a Comment