Friday, March 24, 2017

Present Company

I have not blogged in a very long time.  However, today I felt compelled to express myself.  I have come to the realization that you seriously have to be mindful of the company you keep.  People that you chose to spend your time with can have an incredible impact on your life.  For example, if you decide to vacation with a person that is a shopper and they want to hit the stores and damage their credit cards. You may find yourself prompted to follow their lead.  If you dine with people that have terrible eating habits, you may find yourself overloading on carbs.  You may even adopt some of their lingo and making up excuses as to why you need to dump an entire stick of butter on your baked potato.  If you hang out with sedentary people, you may find yourself exhibiting the same behavior.  Imitating a slug is not necessarily my idea of fun, nor is it good for your health.

The point of this post is to be mindful of the people that you surround yourself with.  You want to be in the company of like minded individuals that share many of your interests.  In my opinion, it is best to limit your time with folks that over-indulge or are just plain counterproductive to you being your best. I am not suggesting that people cut ties with their shopping-addicted friends or those that can't peel themselves off the sofa, while they debate with themselves on whether to watch Matlock or Columbo.

Friendships are important.  You need the loving support of friends and family.  At least I can say I do.  It is nice to have those folks that you can text or call and they instantly brighten your day.  There are not too many things better in the world than having that friend you can depend on in tough times or that friend that keeps you smiling.  Perhaps it is in the stars for you to help influence those folks to lead a healthier lifestyle.  Of course, this is not at the expense of your own sanity or motivation.

The fact of the matter is, friendships are important but there must be a balance.  It is not in one's best interest to continue to give energy to a toxic friendship.  Further, it is never a good idea to give more than you receive in a friendship.  That mess is for the birds.  You also do not want to be unintentionally influenced by those with horrific habits.  You may find yourself broke, fat and depressed and left wondering how in the hell it happened.  It was because of the people around you.

"Child, you need to eat. You can't get full off that."  The thing is, I do not need to be full.  I only require satisfaction and relief from the hunger pangs.  "Girl, you need to treat yourself."  This may be true, but it needs to be done within reason.  No, I am not interested in buying that $400 handbag because you think it is cute to trade your savings for unnecessary material things.  Four hundred dollars is extravagant to me.  Yes, I can afford to buy this handbag.  The question is will I?  The answer is a resounding "NO!" because it is beyond ridiculous to spend this much for any single article of clothing.  At least it is ridiculous according to my personal financial strategy.  You do you, Boo Thang!

Kiss Kiss

A.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment